Benchmark AHB2 Power Amplifier
TRUE HIGH-RESOLUTION PERFORMANCE
The AHB2is the ideal match tothe performance limits of High-Resolution-Audio (HRA) formats. Benchmark's AHB2 power amplifier delivers musical details without introducing the masking effects of amplifier noise and distortion. The dynamic range of the AHB2 is 132 dB, making it 10 to 30 dB quieter than some of the very best reference-qualitypower amplifiers.
The frequency response of the AHB2 extends beyond 200 kHz. With the AHB2, you will discover previously overlooked nuances, dynamics, and detail in your favorite recordings and experience the full potential of the latest high-resolution 24-bit PCM and 1-bit DSD audio formats.
EXPERIENCE THE EMOTION
The musical details and emotion captured on today's finest High-Resolution-Audio recordings can only be fully appreciated when every component in the signal chain is capable of true high-resolution performance. Power amplifiers are aweak link in most audio systems. Most power amplifiers are well matched to the limitations of the CD format, but they fall well short of the capabilities of high-resolution formats. In contrast, the revolutionary AHB2 was specifically designed todeliver true high-resolution performance.
THE NEED FOR BETTER AMPLIFICATION
D/A conversion technology has outpaced the development of new power amplifiers. This means that the power amplifier has become a limiting factor in many audio systems. For example, the noise and distortion produced by the Benchmark DAC2D/A converter is 20 to 30 dB lower than that produced by most high-quality power amplifiers. Until now, this meant that the DAC2could not be fully appreciated. Benchmark set out to solve this problem bycreating an amplifier that matches the performance of theDAC2.
INTRODUCING THE AHB2 - A NEW AND DIFFERENT POWER AMPLIFIER
We had to look beyond existing amplifier technologies and explore some new and radical solutions. In our search, we learned of two new patents on a new amplifier technology from THX. This was exactly the technology we needed to build our new amplifier.
The AHB2uses the new and revolutionary THX-patented AAA(TM) technology to virtually eliminate all forms of distortion. This technology uses feed-forward error correction to eliminate the distortion that is normally produced by the output stage.No other audio amplifier comes close to delivering the clean, quiet, and robust power of the AHB2.
In our quest, we also focused on frequency response, output noise, drive current, damping factor, and reliability. The result is an amplifier that stands head and shoulders above the competition.
THE QUIETEST, CLEANEST AUDIO AMPLIFIER ON THE PLANET
From the first watt to the last watt, no audio power amplifier offers lower noise or lower distortion than the Benchmark AHB2. Benchmark has raised the bar by introducing a new and revolutionary amplifier!
‚¬œI measured less distortion and noise in the AHB2 than in any other of the many power ampsI'vemeasured over the years.‚¬?
-Bascom King, BHK Labs
‚¬œIf ever there were a giant-killer of an amp, this is it.‚¬?
"It is one of the -- if not the -- quietest, most resolving amps I've heard. Time and again, without ever having intended to, I wound up hours deep in listening to the fringes of my music collection, thanks to the AHB2‚¬„s reference-level transparency and obscene athleticism."
- Hans Wetzel, SoundStage!
1 kHz, < 0.0003 % THD+N
- 100 Watts per channel into 8 Ohms, both channels driven
- 130 Watts perchannel into 6Ohms, both channels driven
- 190 Watts perchannel into 4 Ohms, both channels driven
- 240 Watts perchannel into 3Ohms, both channels driven
- 200 Watts Bridged Mono into 16 Ohms
- 380 Watts Bridged Mono into 8 Ohms
- 480Watts Bridged Mono into 6 Ohms
All speakers have variations in input impedance. Select loads based on nominal impedances not minimum impedances.
SNR & DYNAMIC RANGE
Rated output relative to output noise, inputs shorted
- 132 dB A-weighted, Stereo Mode
- 135 dB A-weighted, Mono Mode
- 130 dB Unweighted,20 Hz to 20 kHz, Stereo Mode
- 133 dBUnweighted,20 Hz to 20 kHz, Mono Mode
Output noise voltage, inputs shorted
- 7.1 uV, A-weighted, Stereo Mode
- 9.8 uV, A-weighted, Mono Mode
NOISE POWER RELATIVE TO 1 WATT
Output noise power, inputs shorted
- -115 dB Watts, A-weighted, 16-Ohm Load, Stereo Mode
- -112 dB Watts, A-weighted, 16-Ohm Load, Mono Mode
- -112 dB Watts, A-weighted, 8-Ohm Load, Stereo Mode
- -109 dB Watts, A-weighted, 8-Ohm Load, Mono Mode
- -111 dB Watts, A-weighted, 6-Ohm Load, Stereo Mode
- -108 dB Watts, A-weighted, 6-Ohm Load, Mono Mode
- -109 dB Watts, A-weighted, 4-Ohm Load, Stereo Mode
1 kHz, 80 kHzLPF, atfull rated output into any rated load
- < -118 dB (< 0.00013%), Stereo Mode
- < -118 dB (< 0.00013%), Mono Mode
1 kHz, 20kHzLPF, atfull rated output into any rated load
- <-119dB (< 0.00011%), Stereo Mode
- < -120 dB (< 0.00010%), MonoMode
- Better than -115 dB at 1 kHz
- Better than -92 dB at 20 kHz
- Better than 0.1 Hz to 200 kHz, +0/-3 dB
- -0.01 dB at 20 Hz, -0.17 dB at 20 kHz, 8-Ohm Load
- -0.23 dB at 20 Hz, -0.32 dB at 20 kHz, 4-Ohm Load
- 350 at 20 Hz, 8-Ohms
- 254 at 1 kHz, 8-Ohms
- 34 at 20 kHz, 8-Ohms
- 7 at 200 kHz, 8-Ohms
MAXIMUM AUDIO OUTPUT CURRENT
- 29 A peak, per channel, both channels driven
- Low-Gain = 22 dBu (9.8 Vrms), Gain = 9.2dB
- Mid-Gain = 14.2 dBu (4 Vrms), Gain = 17.0 dB
- High-Gain = 8.2 dBu (2 Vrms), Gain = 23 dB
- Use Mid-Gain or High-Gain settings for unbalanced inputs
- Unbalanced inputs require RCA to XLRM adapter cables
- 50 k Ohms, normal mode
- 1 M Ohm, common mode
- 80 dB at 20 Hz, typical
- 80 dB at 1 kHz, typical
- 65dB at 20 kHz, typical
- 12 VDC 200 mA current-limitedoutputto trigger turn-on of remote devices
- DC inputforslaving to remote devices
- Input responds to 3.3 V logic and higher, VIL = 1.26 V, VIH = 2.7 V
- Absolute maximum input voltage = 30 VDC
- Absolute minimum input voltage = -0.3 VDC
- Input Impedance = 20 k Ohms
- Fully Electronic, No Relays
- Mute Sequencing
- Distortion Detection
- Short Circuit Detection
- Over Current Detection
- Over Temperature Detection
- SOA Detection (Output device safe operating area)
- 11.04" W x 3.88" H x9.34 " D - Including feet and binding posts
- 11.04" W x 3.47" H x8.33" D -Excluding feet and connectors
- Faceplate height is 2RU
- 19.00" W x 3.88" H x 10.62 " D - Including binding posts, handles and removable feet
- 19.00" W x 3.47" H x 8.33 " D - Excluding feet and connectors
- 9.09" rack depth, including binding posts, excluding cables
- 11" rack depth, including cables
- Faceplate height is 2RU
- 12.5 lbs., 16 lbs. shipping - Non-rack-mount version
- 13.5 lbs., 17 lbs. shipping - Rack-mount version
- Auto-ranging AC Input
- 100 to 120 VAC +/- 10%, 8 Amps, 50 - 60 Hz
- 220 to 240 VAC +/- 10%, 8 Amps, 50 - 60 Hz
- Idle Power Consumption = 20 W
- Standby Power Consumption < 0.5 W
All eligible company warranty and service support is being provided on Benchmark AHB2 Power Amplifier