Marantz NR-1606 7.2CH Slimline AV Receiver
Product DescriptionProduct Description:
7-Channel Discrete Amplifier: The Marantz NR1606 is equipped with a power class AB amplifier that reproduces high-fidelity sound in surround mode with equal quality and power for all channels, true to the original sound. The power amplifier circuit adopts a discrete-circuit configuration that achieves high-quality surround sound reproduction. The 7 channel amplifier is rated at 50 watts with 2 channels driven (20-20kHz, 8-ohms, 0.08% THD).
Amplifier Assignment: The NR1606's seven discrete amplifier channels can be configured to accommodate your type of home theater setup.
- Surround Back: The AV receiver's amplifier channels can be configured as Front, Center, Surround , and Surround Back for Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD (no second zone).
- Front Height: The receiver's amplifier channels can also be configured as Front, Front Height, Center, and Surround for more front effects (no surround back or second zone speakers).
- Top Front/Middle: This amplifier configuration provides 7.1ch playback using top front or top middle speakers for Dolby Atmos or DTS:X.
- Front/Surround Dolby: This amplifier configuration provides 7.1ch playback using front or surround Dolby Atmos enabled speakers.
- Zone 2: The NR1606's amplifier channels can be configured as Front, Center, Surround, and Zone 2 for Dolby Digital, DTS in the main zone and 2ch PCM playback in the second zone.
- Bi-Amp: The AV receiver's amplifier channels can be configured as Front Bi-Amp, Center, and Surround for Dolby Digital, DTS playback in the main zone (no second zone). Bi-amping the front speakers achieves higher-quality sound.
- Front B: The AV receiver's amplifier channels can be configured as Front, Center, Surround, and Front B for 5.1ch & 2ch playback in the main zone so you can switch back and forth between your home theater speakers and your stereo speakers.
Isolated Audio Circuit Boards + High Current Power Supply: The carefully-optimized audio signal path rests on a separate circuit board for maximum performance as well as isolation from interferences generated by high speed video processing. The Marantz NR1606 AV surround receiver also employs a high current linear power supply with an EI core power transformer for high-quality sound playback.
24-bit/192-kHz DACs: The Marantz NR1606 utilizes a 192 kHz/24 bit D/A converter on each of the unit's seven channels for exceptional sound quality. The 192kHz sampling and 24-bit word length capabilities of the DACs allows you to play high-resolution recordings and hear the increased clarity, detail and dynamic range of those recordings.
Digital Signal Processing (DSP): The Marantz NR1606 is equipped with a high-resolution Analog Devices (ADSP21487) 32-bit Digital Signal Processor (DSP). All elements of the Surround Processor are optimized to the highest standards by the use of selected high performance and discrete components, particularly the A/D and D/A converters and the sophisticated DSP surround decoder. The NR1606 is equipped with various surround modes to reproduce a variety of surround sound effects, according to the content of the source to be played. The receiver features Dolby Digital, Dolby TrueHD, DTS and DTS-HD decoding.
- Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD
- DTS: DTS, DTS-ES, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS Express, DTS 96/24, DTS Neo:6
Note: Dolby Digital and DTS listening modes can only be selected if your audio source is connected to the A/V receiver via a digital audio connection (HDMI, optical, or coaxial). To enjoy true 7.1ch Dolby Digital TrueHD and DTS-HD surround sound, the receiver must be connected to your Blu-ray player via HDMI.
Immersive Surround Sound: The Marantz NR1606 AV receiver goes beyond regular surround with the latest immersive surround sound formats - like Dolby Atmos, Dolby Surround, and DTS:X.
- Dolby Atmos: With Dolby Atmos, sound comes alive from all directions, including overhead, to fill your home theater with astonishing clarity, power, detail, and depth. The NR1606 has the processing power to run a more enveloping 5.1.2ch Dolby Atmos layout utilizing ceiling mounted or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers (sold separately). A 5.1.2 speaker configuration is based upon a traditional 5.1 speaker layout complemented by 2 overhead or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers.
- Dolby Surround:Dolby Surround offers an enhanced cinema experience to your Dolby Digital (Plus/TrueHD) and DTS (ES/HD) movie soundtracks using your existing 7.1ch or Dolby Atmos speaker setup. Dolby Surround enhances audio definition by improving the spatial dimension and overall audio definition of movie soundtracks. It does this by using four distinct surround zones that provide greater control over the exact placement of each detail in a movie sound track, so audio can be matched more accurately to the video on screen; this means more depth and greater realism for your movies. As a result, individual sounds are clearer and more distinct. It also improves the surround sound experience across the entire theater by widening the listening "sweet spot".
- DTS:X: DTS:X is the next generation object-based, multi-dimensional audio technology from DTS. Unbound from channels, DTS:X conveys the fluid movement of sound to create an incredibly rich, realistic and immersive soundscape - in front of, behind, beside and above the audience - more accurately than ever before. DTS:X offers the ability to automatically adapt the audio to the speaker layout that best fits your space. DTS:X will be enabled through an online firmware update coming in late 2015.
- DTS:X Neural:X: Further, DTS:X incorporates Neural:X, the latest spatial remapping technology from DTS, which provides a fully immersive output for all types of source content; this includes DTS bitstreams and non-encoded (PCM) data. Neural:X delivers a thrilling sense of immersive sound to your speaker layout regardless of the original source format. DTS:X Neural:X will also require the same future firmware upgrade.
Audyssey Bronze: The Marantz NR1606 features the "Bronze" suite of Audyssey audio technologies for optimal sound quality. The Audyssey "Bronze Suite incorporates Audyssey MultEQ for automatic room & speaker setup, Audyssey DynamicEQ for enhancing effects at low volumes, and Audyssey Dynamic Volume for real-time volume adjustment.
Audyssey MultEQ: Using the supplied measurement microphone, the MultEQ function provides true in-room acoustical measurement for all of the speakers in the room, including the subwoofer, and then automatically generates multiple high resolution digital filters that combine to provide the smoothest in-room response from your speaker system. You can set the Audyssey MultEQ to one of the following modes.
- Reference: Optimizes the crossover point, output level, delay time, and equalization of all speakers based on speaker frequency response, speaker location, and room acoustics.
- L/R Bypass: Optimizes all speakers except front left and right.
- Flat: Optimizes frequency response of all speakers to flat.
- Manual: Adjusts the tonal quality for each speaker individually using the manual equalizer settings; adjust from -20 to +6 dB at 63 Hz, 125 Hz, 250 Hz, 500 Hz, 1 kHz, 2 kHz, 4 kHz, 8 kHz, and 16 kHz.
- Off: Turns equalizer off.
- Audyssey Dynamic EQ: Audio engineers mix music and movie soundtracks at reference levels much louder than typical home listening levels. At lower volumes the human ear perceives sound differently; voices change, bass dissipates, and the surround effect becomes less enveloping. Dynamic EQ adjusts the frequency response curve based on volume to maintain consistent bass output, octave-to-octave balance, and surround impact, resulting in rich sound at any volume. You can set the Dynamic EQ to 0, 5, 10, or 15 dB.
- Audyssey Dynamic Volume: Audyssey Dynamic Volume solves the problem of large variations in volume level between television programs, commercials, and between the soft and loud passages of movies. Dynamic Volume addresses the issue of commercials that are too loud and movie soundtracks with vast differences between soft and loud passages; the results are more intelligible dialogue, loud passages maintain impact, and soft whispers are heard clearly. When the volume level changes, Dynamic EQ also adjusts the frequency response to maintain sound quality. You can set the Dynamic Volume to Day (low), Evening (middle), Midnight (high), or off.
Direct Listening Modes: The Marantz NR1606 offers two Direct sound modes which offer high-quality sound by bypassing the receiver's DSP & video circuitry. Source Direct Mode provides playback of 2ch or Multichannel audio in its original form, without any surround or tone processing. Pure Direct Mode goes a step further by turning off the receiver's display and analog video circuitry to minimize the possibility of any noised being added to the audio signal.
Stereo Modes: The Marantz NR1606 surround receiver also provides two-channel stereo and multi-channel stereo playback, as well a virtual surround from two stereo speakers. The 2CH Stereo mode is for playing in two channel stereo; bass and treble can be adjusted and sound is output from the front left and right speakers, along with a connected subwoofer. Multi-Channel Stereo mode lets you enjoy stereo sound from all speakers. Virtual Speaker mode lets you enjoy surround effects using only the front speakers or headphones.
Surround Parameters: You can adjust the following surround mode parameters:
- Center Image: In the Neo:6 Music mode, the Center Image feature adjusts the output of the left and right channels relative to the center channel, allowing you to make the center channel more or less dominant as needed. This improves the image of the center channel, especially when the listener is off-center. Adjustment varies from 5 (nothing subtracted from the L/R channels) to 0 (L/R channel output is cut in half).
- Center Spread: In the Dolby Surround mode, Center Spread expands the center channel signal to left and right front speakers to create a wider frontal audio image for the listener. It is optimized and designed primary for playback of stereo music content.
Audio Enhancements: The Marantz NR1606 receiver provides various audio enhancements to deliver a high-quality listening experience every time.
- CINEMA EQ (Cinema Equalizer): The Cinema EQ function gently decreases the level of the extreme high frequencies, compensating for overly-bright sounding motion picture soundtracks. Select this function if the sound from the front speakers is too bright. This function only works in the Dolby Digital, DTS, and DTS Neo:6 modes.
- M-DAX: Compressed audio formats such as MP3, WMA (Windows Media Audio) and MPEG-4 AAC reduce the amount of data by eliminating signal components that are hard for the human ear to hear. The M-DAX function generates the signals eliminated upon compression, restoring the sound to conditions near those of the original sound before compression. It also corrects the sense of volume of the bass to obtain richer sound with compressed audio signals.
- Dynamic Range Compression (DRC): Motion picture soundtracks have tremendous dynamic range (the contrast between very soft and very loud sounds). For listening late at night, or whenever the maximum sound level is lower than usual, Compressing the dynamic range allows you to hear all of the sounds in the soundtrack with reduced dynamic range. DRC works when playing program sources recorded in Dolby Digital or DTS.
Level Adjustments: The NR1606 provides the following level adjustments.
- Source Level: This function adjusts the playback level of the currently selected input source's audio input. Use this feature if there are differences in the input volume levels between different sources. You can correct the playback level of the audio input from -12 to +12dB.
- Dialogue Level: You can adjust the output level (+/-12dB) to clarify the dialogue output from the center channel.
- Subwoofer Level: You can set the receiver's subwoofer output level (+/-12dB) independent from the other speaker levels and system's main volume.
Volume Settings: The NR1606 offers the following volume settings.
- Volume Scale: You can choose to display an Absolute volume scale (0-98) or Relative volume scale (-79.5 to 18dB).
- Volume Limit: You can set a maximum volume level of 0dB (80), -10dB (70), or -20dB (60) to limit the receiver's total volume output.
- Turn-On Volume: You can define the volume setting that is active when the power is turned on (0, 1-98, -79 to +18dB, or Last)
- Mute Level: You can set the amount of attenuation for the audio muting circuit; -40dB or -20dB below current volume, or full mute (sound turned off entirely).
Audio Inputs/Outputs: The Marantz AV receiver offers a variety of analog and digital audio inputs/outputs.
- Assignable Digital Inputs: The NR1606 features an optical digital (Toslink) input and a coaxial digital input. Each input can be assigned to any of the different input sources except Tuner.
- Color-Coded Speaker Terminals: The receiver has binding-post terminals for all speaker connections. The binding-post terminals can accept bare wire, pin connectors, and banana plugs (single only). The receiver will accept speaker impedances of 4 to 16-ohm. The receiver comes with color labels to easily identify which channel a speaker cable should be connected to. Since the speaker cables have labels in the same colors as the connectors on the NR1606's rear panel, there's no longer any confusion about which terminals they should be connected to.
- Preamp Outputs: The NR1606 home receiver is fitted with six preamp outputs (Front L/R, Zone 2, Dual Sub). Featuring dual subwoofer outputs (non-discrete), the NR1606 lets you connect two smaller subwoofers instead of a single, larger sub, and enjoy the benefits of response averaging by having two subs in different locations in the room. With dual subwoofers, deep bass is smoother and more detailed, minimizing the peaks and dips that often result with a single subwoofer setup.
- Headphone Output: The receiver features a 1/4" stereo headphone jack on its front panel for connecting a pair of optional headphones. The unit's speakers will automatically be turned off when a set of headphones are connected.
HDMI 2.0a: The Marantz NR1606 AV receiver is fitted with eight HDMI 2.0a inputs (7 rear/1 front) and one HDMI 2.0a output to deliver crystal-clear, all-digital audio and video signals. The HDMI 2.0a jacks support 4K/60Hz and 1080p video signals; as well as 4:4:4: Pure Color sub-sampling pass-through, another feature of the latest HDMI 2.0a specification. 3D video, ARC functionality, Deep Color (30/36 bit), x.v.Color, and auto Lip-Sync compensation is also supported via HDMI. The AV receiver's HDMI jacks support 2-channel and multi-channel linear PCM (up to 8-channel) and Bitstream (Dolby Digital, DTS, etc) digital audio formats.
- 4K/60Hz Pass Through: The receiver's HDMI inputs and HDMI output support 4K/60Hz Ultra-HD, 4:4:4 Pure Color, and 21:9 video pass-through, a feature of the latest HDMI 2.0a specification for Ultra-HD content. They also support 1080p (24 or 60Hz) for playback of high-definition content from Blu-ray, satellite/cable, and gaming devices. All of the receiver's HDMI jacks are compatible with the HDCP2.2 copyright protection standard for 4K service providers.
- 3D Ready: The NR1606 is compatible with 3D-ready Blu-ray disc movies, video games, and other 3D content through its HDMI (v.1.4) connections. 3D viewing requires 3D-ready source with 3D content, 3D-ready HDTV, 3D glasses, and high-speed HDMI cable. Other 3D accessories may also be needed.
- ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature of receiver's HDMI monitor output allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to your receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
- Deep/x.v.Color Support: The NR1606 also supports Deep Color and x.v.Color content, which can display a larger color range than standard-definition schemes. The result is a more lifelike, vibrant picture.
- LipSync: This feature automatically compensates for the timing shift between the audio and video of the receiver. If needed, the audio signal can be manually delayed to match the video signal; adjust from 0-200ms.
4K Video Upscaling: The AV receiver is equipped with a 4K video upscaler that allows standard definition (480i/480p) sources and high definition (720p/1080i/1080p) sources to be upconverted to 4K Ultra HD (3840x2160 pixels) for ultra high definition video images from any video source. This lets you connect all your analog (composite/component) or digital (HDMI) video sources to the NR1606 and then connect to your TV with just a single HDMI cable.
HDMI Standby Pass-Through: When the AV receiver is in "Standby" mode and the HDMI Standby Pass-Through function is enabled, both audio/video streams from the receivers HDMI input will be output to your television, via the AV receiver's HDMI monitor output. Once the receiver is turned "On", only video will pass through the monitor output to your TV and the audio is directed to the receiver's speaker outputs.
- HDMI Input: Selects the HDMI Input for which the HDMI Standby Pass-Through function is enabled.
- Last: The HDMI Standby-Through function is activated on the input source selected at the time of setting the AV receiver to the "Standby" mode.
- Off: The HDMI Standby Pass-Through function is disabled.
Advanced ISFccc Video Calibration: The NR1606 is certified by the Imaging Science Foundation to deliver top video quality, and the unit also features advanced ISFccc video calibration controls that allow for precision fine-tuning of the connected HDTV, even if it's not an ISF certified set. You can choose from a variety of Picture Modes - Standard, Movie, Vivid, Streaming, ISF Day, ISF Night, Custom, or Off. The Custom mode lets you manually adjust Contrast, Brightness, Saturation, Noise Reduction, and Enhancer (sharpness).
Analog Video Inputs: The receiver features three composite video inputs and one composite video monitor output. There is also two component video inputs (60MHz) and one component video output.
Video Select Function: You can switch the video input source on the receiver while listening to a different audio signal (iPod/USB, CD, Tuner, Network, or Bluetooth).
Network & Tuner Functions
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Marantz NR1606 receiver is fitted with a RJ-45 Ethernet (LAN) port to connect the receiver to your home network. The unit also offers built-in WiFi (IEEE 802.11 b/g/n; 2.4GHz) for a wireless network connection; WPS, WEP, WPA-PSK (TKIP), WPA-PSK (AES), WPA2-PSK (AES) security protection is supported. Either network connection gives the receiver access to your DLNA music server and various online music services. Wireless network setup can be done via WPS button, Access Point Scan, Manual Setting, PIN Code, or even through your Apple iOS device (5.0+).
Online Services: The Marantz NR1606 lets you access Internet Radio, as well as other online music and photo services from your broadband Internet connection. Currently the NR1606 supports Internet Radio from vTuner, Pandora, Spotify Connect, and SiriusXM; as well as the Flickr online photo sharing site. The Marantz receiver offers on-screen menu display and control over these web services
Number of Poweramps 7 Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.08% 2ch Drive) 50 W Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.05% 2ch Drive) - Power Output (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 0.7% 2ch Drive) 70 W Power Output (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 10% 1ch Drive) 100 W 70% Guarantee - Metal Front Panel - System Remote Control RC024SR Pre-Programmed / Learnable / LCD Display - / - / - Power Consumption in W 250 Power Consumption No-Sound (ECO ...on/off) in W 30 W / 40 W Standby Consumption in W 0.2 CEC Standby Consumption in W 0.5 Network Standby Consumption in W 2.7 Maximum Dimensions
Antenna:Horizontal:(W x D x H) in inches
Antenna:Vertical :(W x D x H) in inches
W/o Antenna:(W x D x H) in inches
17.3 x 14.8 x 4.1
17.3 x 14.8 x 6.8
Weight in lbs. 19
All eligible company warranty and service support is being provided on Marantz NR-1606 7.2CH Slimline AV Receiver